Table of Contents

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Cueto's Velo On the Rise

As C. Trent noted in his wrap from last night's game, Johnny Cueto's fastball velocity is on the rise.  Here are his game-by-game fastball velocities over the past two years:
And last start, he actually threw harder as the game went on:

That's crazy.  And very exciting.  Cueto is having an extremely special season right now.

Now, I will say that I have seen some claims that spikes in velocity can precede injury.  The logical argument is unclear to me, but I think(?) the idea is just that extra velocity = extra strain = extra risk.  But the only evidence I've seen for this was Matt Harvey's 2013 season.

In any case, I'm choosing to be excited about this.  Cueto has been beyond fantastic this season, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment