Table of Contents

Friday, April 27, 2007

Banner day on Protrade

I'm still getting used to the Protrade market. I've found that, with the exception of major injuries (upon which people jump on the short bandwagon with incredible speed), for the most part player stocks are fairly steady. Some guys get undervalued (Ryan Church--listed @ $100, on pace for ~$150, PECOTA projects him even higher) or overvalued (Reed Johnson--listed @ $111, not-so-good projections, will miss at least half the season with back surgery), and generally just stay where they are.

Over the past 24 hours, however, people have been going crazy with the shorting. Mark Prior's end-0f-season (and maybe career) news dropped his price down to ~$20 (I only got in at ~$45). No big surprise there.

But once ProTrade retired his stock for the season, all the sudden some other shorts became popular. Two players I've been shorting since opening day, Bernie Williams and Corey Koskie, dropped from where they'd been since day one (Bernie @ ~$70, Cory @ ~$105) to the thirties overnight. As a result, I made upwards of $2000 on these holdings in the past 24 hours. To put that in perspective, I made about $2000 from when I began ProTrade in mid-march through yesterday, and much of that was by buying lots of hyped-up rookies prior to the season's start and then selling them off once the real games began.

Anyway, it's a fun site to play around with. It's about all the fantasy baseball that I allow myself, as it only takes a few minutes a day (or every other day) to play. ... 'Course, right now I have $8,500 that isn't invested, 'cause I haven't sat down to try to find additional undervalued individuals to buy. Among the Reds, only David Ross might be undervalued, but that's assuming he'll pull out of his slump...and it's been so bad that I'm feeling scared off by it right now, though the HR today was encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment