- Dave Williams actually pitched a good ballgame, although his periperhals still weren't very good: 2 K's, 2 BB's, 1 HR. Still, great to see him do something positive. Hopefully he'll still be groovin' when I see him pitch this weekend!
- Todd Coffey is such a stud. I love that kid.
- I know LaRussa stakes his reputation on being unorthodox, but that was an odd ninth inning.
- First he allows Gall to bat in the 9th with the go-ahead run at second and two outs when he had the best hitter in baseball sitting on the bench. I'll never understand that one. I will say that it does say something about who LaRussa expects to be worried about come September when he gives Pujols his first day off all season against the first-place team in the division. Maybe King Albert's hurt? I heard no indication of this...
- Then LaRussa doesn't walk Valentin to set up a force out at all bases with runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, in the bottom of the inning. I know Valentin has been struggling, but Freel isn't exactly smoking hot either. Maybe he was just trying to avoid pitching to Lopez with 2 outs? Great to see the Latin Love Machine come through. The guy's really been struggling so far this season, and his playing time isn't going to get any better with LaRue back.
- How about Jason LaRue putting down a two-strike bunt? That was a bizarre move...higher risk than I'm comfortable with, but hey, it worked!
- Marty actually read one of my e-mail questions on the air. First time he's ever done that. Yay me.
Tuesday, May 02, 2006
4-1 on a homestand against the Astros and the Cardinals, a Major League-best record of 19-8, 11 games over 0.500. Awesome. This is easily the most fun I've had as a Reds fan since 1999.