Table of Contents

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Employment

No, I'm not talking about this job with the Pirates, though if I could program worth a lick I might have been tempted to apply. It's exactly the kind of thing I'm excited about in baseball research right now--the integration of scouting and more traditional sabermetrics.

Anyway, today I received an offer for a position that's pretty damn close to my dream job. It was the interview I went on last week, and referenced here and here. I'm very excited about it. I don't really want to get into details here, but I can assure you that it has absolutely nothing to do with baseball. :)

What this means for the blog is that I am likely to be very busy until June/Julyish or so, because I need to finish this here de-gree before I can start the new position in August. And while I was going to be busy over that stretch anyway, this thing serves as a big time motivator to get my stuff done.

I will continue to try to keep this blog active. But I do anticipate that my postings might become more intermittent, and perhaps a bit more like this kind of thing (which was pretty quick to put together), and less like this kind of thing (which was a major investment of time and thought). It probably also means that my historical Reds project will have to wait for now...just can't devote the neural pathways to it.

But we'll see--you never know how it will go, and I might get a few nights off here and there to work on this stuff. Hopefully the site will continue to be a place worth visiting. But if the quality declines a bit, you'll know why. :)

Oh, and I received my copy of the Hardball Times Season Preview today. It's much improved over last year's version, and I hope that you folks will check it out. It was a lot of fun being involved in putting it together again this year.

10 comments:

  1. Justin,

    I read but rarely comment on your blog. The tidbits I've picked up here and there about your education/timeline just sound all too familiar (i.e. they seem to mirror mine). I read the post about Ohio U's baseball team and you mentioned it as your alma mater. And you, at least as late, regularly post about getting another degree while living in Phoenix.

    I got a BS from Ohio U then transplanted to Arizona to do grad work at ASU, also soon to finish (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's pretty uncanny. We are indeed following darn similar trajectories. You're not in the biology program, are you? :)
    -j

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin, congrats on the job offer. Your blog will be just fine, study hard and enjoy the new job. What are you majoring in?

    vr, Xei

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I'm mostly a lurker, but I'm also finishing grad school right now and am hoping to land a job (much less an almost dream job) in the next year or so.

    Good luck; we'll be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah, I never was one for biology, though I get a healthy dose in my research. All my degrees are in chemical engineering.

    Congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the Keystone State!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my presentation for the job interview, I actually had a picture of the Welcome to Pennsylvania sign. :) Lots to do between then and now though!
    -j

    ReplyDelete
  8. The state motto is: You have a friend in Pennsylvania. I learned that when I moved there from Ohio in 1990. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, and welcome to Dunder-Mifflen.

    Speaking as a guy who moved from the sunny southwest to the midwest about six months ago - February sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh, I've been wanting a Dunder-Mifflen t-shirt for a while now. This about clinches it. Though we're going to be a lot further west than Scranton.
    -j

    ReplyDelete