Table of Contents

Monday, March 09, 2009

WBC Games - Sunday

So I'm still a day behind. Maybe I'll catch up tomorrow. Again, I'm only talking about games I actually get to see. That means fewer and fewer games as the week goes on, as most games are only viewable on MLB Network.

Sunday's games were pretty lopsided affairs, though at least the USA game was close early.

Korea(*) over China, 14-0


Ray Chang, it was fun while it lasted. Korea shows some power. Whether they can ride that tune-up into a better showing against Japan in game 5 remains to be seen.

USA(*) over Venezuela 15-5

I'm cheating a little bit here, because I had Canada playing instead of the USA in this game. But I did pick USA to win their game against Venezuela in my bracket (game 4), so we'll go with that pick.

The managerial decision to bring in the AA-lefty to face Ianetta might be the strangest managerial decision thus far. And while there's no guarantee that it would work out any better with another option--Ianetta's a quality hitter--it's not a move you'd expect to see. I was also starting to get uncomfortable with the degree to which players were being substituted into the game on team USA. But they won, handily, so I won't complain much.

I have to say I just am incredibly happy that Dunn is getting this chance, and is exceling to the degree that he is. It's about time that the rest of baseball got to see what an awesome guy he is, and I think that's a big part of what's been on display in the dugout. That and the fact that he's a heck of a hitter--he's made like one out so far in two games, right? The dugout shot of Jimmy Rollins' reliving his interview that took place during Dunn's homer had me laughing out loud, and probably woke my wife up in the other room.

No comments:

Post a Comment