Table of Contents

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Greatness of Junior

I'm sick at home today, but in between naps I managed to watch the Reds/Cubs game on TiVo. After the first inning, I quite nearly gave up on the game. But fortunately, the fact that I could barely get up off the couch, and the fact that this is the last Reds game I'll have a chance to see on TV this season kept me at it.

You can certainly say that I'm happy I did. :) It's been an exciting season, though this past month has been difficult to stomach as the Reds fell out of contention. But Griffey, on a day that Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus announced that he was done for the year, and on the final home game of the season, gave Reds fans everywhere a positive memory to last them through the offseason. In doing so, he tied Reggie Jackson for 10th place on the all-time home run list. It was magic.

I don't know what the winter will bring. Major trades are almost a given, as Krivsky gets his chance to overhaul the team in his first offseason as a general manager. It wouldn't surprise me to see Griffey leaving the team, among others. But Junior's (likely) final swing in 2006 allows me, at least, to close the book on the season with a certain feeling of peace and contentment.